The Queer Ally Programs is a campus wide program designed to visibly identify students, staff and faculty members who support the LGBTQ+ population, understand some of the issues facing the LGBTQ+ individuals, and are aware of the various LGBTQ+ resources. We currently offer two (2), three and a half (3.5) hour workshops, the Queer Ally (QA) workshop and the Gender Expansive (GE) workshop:
Queer Ally (QA)
The Queer Ally (QA) workshop provides an introductory foundational understanding of the LGBTQ+ community. The focus of this workshop is for participants to:
- Define and differentiate between assigned sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation/attraction(s), sexual behavior and sexual activity.
- Articulate privileges that you have that are not afforded to members of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Identify opportunities for influencing positive social change that affirms the LGBTQ+ community.
- Identify ways to positively support the LGBTQ+ community.
- Demonstrate continued learning and knowledge around how to be an ally for the LGBTQ+ communities.
Gender Expansive (GE)
*** Participants must complete the Queer Ally workshop prior to participating in the GE workshop
The Gender Expansive (GE) workshop is the newest QAP curriculum expanding participants understanding of the varied gender identities which fall under the gender expansive umbrella. More specifically, it was created to
- Raise awareness of the Gender Expansive community
- Challenge deeply held notions of gender, gender identity and gender expression
- Identify ways to support the gender expansive community